Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I just got back from Las Vegas. I traveled with some girlfriends to celebrate a 40th birthday. We had a great time...way to much fun, and spent what little money we had. But it was nice to get home to my family and bed.
The kids missed me, and so did the hubby. I was amazed to find the house relatively clean, groceries stocked and dinner ready to be grilled. Sometimes it's nice to leave, if only to be welcomed home again.
We're getting ready for school to start next week. Schools supplies have been purchased, and clothing is being washed to readied for the new year. I was amazed to find no one is stocking 8.5 x 11 inch writing paper. Instead the stores are stocked with 8.5 x 10 inch paper. What's up with that? I finally gave in and purchased the weird sized paper. I doubt the teacher will measure it with her ruler.
Summer has passed in a blur, as usual. However, I think my daughter and I have reconnected. If I were to compare raising a teenager to the video games my 10-year old plays, I'd have to rank it at the highest difficulty rating. Someone should write a manual of how tos and how not tos, but even then it wouldn't be complete since we are each our own individual. Ms. Underdog and I have had some difficult bonding time. Funny, the situations she deals with really are no different than the ones I dealt with at her age, no matter how much I've tried to steer her clear of my own pitfalls. I guess that's part of what life is about, and parenting. Giving them the tools, unconditional love and support to go out in the world on their own, but providing a safe haven from the scary things.
Well, back to prep time.

No comments: