Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2008

Yesterday was the first day of school. For Ms. Underdog, it marked the last first day of high school she will ever have (hopefully!). I can still remember the first day of kindergarten, and the first day of middle school, just like they were yesterday. Time has flown so very fast...
It also marked the last first day of elementary school for Mr. Particular. That presents a whole new scary concept...I can't imagine my little boy going to middle school. I know, intellectually anyways, that I need to cut the apron strings, but I'm not sure how to do so. He definately has cut his attachment though. Yesterday, after a very small confrontation, I heard him (from another room) say he wished I would die. Pretty hard to hear, but harder to realize he either meant it or didn't realize the power of the spoken word. After calmly insisting he say to my face what he said behind my back, we discussed how much power words actually have, whether you intend them to or not. While I truly believe he didn't mean what he said, I will always remember he said it. He was pretty upset, and I can only hope the lessons stays with him. I know it will stay with me.
For all of you mothers out there sending your children back to school, hang in there. While it probably won't get better, you'll get used to it again.
We already have a book report, oral presentation and geography test due next week! Not sure when we'll find the time to get all of that done, since I'm sure I will need to help. We're really going to working hard on our organization this year, we have to do better.
We've set aside our "homework" supplies -- extra pencils, paper, erasers, scissors, markers, tape and glue. We've also established an official homework area -- at the kitchen center island. Mr. Particular does his homework while I'm making dinner, allowing me to help out when he needs it, but keeping my hands busy so I don't try to get to involved. If we don't have homework, we can talk about our day. I really want to try to get into that habit. I think sometimes my children start to think they'll have to e-mail me in order to get my attention. The sad thing is, I sometimes worry that may be the best route for them.
I'm running late, dinner is waiting to be cooked, so signing off for now!

No comments: